The Origin of Taekwondo
Taekwondo is one of the most influential martial art forms today. The ancient practice originated from Korea. The word Taekwondo translates to “the art of kicking and punching,” or “the art of unarmed combat.”
“Tae” stands for the foot, “Kwon” means to strike or block, and “Do” means the way of or art.
There are many benefits connected to Taekwondo that helps the individual build up self-esteem, maintain self-control, and so much more. Read further to learn how Taekwondo can be beneficial to your life.
The Benefits of Taekwondo
- Builds Mental Strength Taekwondo requires mental discipline. This means the student must learn the forms, reaction time, processing, and hand-eye coordination.
- Builds Character Taekwondo training promotes significant character traits such as teamwork, loyalty, integrity, perseverance, self-control, gratitude, and much more.
- Socialization Skills Taekwondo also requires students to interact with their peers and instructors. Additionally, children will learn how to deal with a bully and how not to be one.
- Stress Relief Taekwondo is a positive outlet that allows you to release those daily frustrations you might be facing. Additionally, this art form can help reduce anxiety, which a lot of people struggle with today.
- Coping with Defeat Learning how to face defeat with grace is extremely important, especially if you are always competing. Unfortunately, life is not a series of wins; therefore, it is essential to learn from your failure and not be a bad sport.
- Teaches Respect This martial art form instills a sense of knowing what to do with what you know. Students, especially young practitioners, learn to respect parents, teachers, instructors, peers, etc.
- Self-esteem Boost This practice is meant to inspire the individual to continue to persevere. Furthermore, Taekwondo encourages participants to take control of their life. Unfortunately, we live in a very shallow society, practices such as these can help you become more true to yourself!
Published: October 2, 2020
Categories: Blog Posts